Bread baked with turnip greens and sausage is a typical Lucanian (namely Basilicata region) dish of peasant origin. Nothing was wasted and the stale bread combined with healthy and tasty ingredients such as turnip greens and sausage gave rise to a dish very much appreciated even today. Cancellara (Basilicata region, Italy) sausage is well-known for the quality of its meats and for the particular preparation procedure in whose mixture wild fennel and pepper powder are added.
Course: Single dishDiﬃculty: EasyPreparation: 40 minutesCooking: 20 minutesYield: 4 people
- 800 g of turnip greens
- 8 Cancellara sausages
- 8 slices of stale bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 spoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste.
- Discard the stalks of the turnip greens and use only the leaves and the ﬂowers and wash them in cold water. Then boil them in salted boiling water for approximately 20 minutes
- In the meantime, take a pan, pour Extra Virgin Olive Oil and brown the garlic and the crumbled sausage
- After 20 minutes, remove the turnip greens leaving the cooking water inside the pot and dip the slices of bread cut in half which will become soft in a minute
- Remove the bread, drain it and brown it in a pan together with the sausage and the turnip greens for a few minutes using a big flame
- Pour it on the plate, taste it and … Enjoy your meal!
- If you want to give our dish an unmistakable flavor, once it has been dished out on the plate, drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil raw. The result will tickle the appetite!